A delay in attaining speech and language functions in children who are otherwise normal – no deafness, no mental retardation or other congenital defects of the lips, palate, and tongue or throat. The defect may be in understanding or in expressing, or both.
- Inability to say a single word by 2 years.
- Failure to speak 2 word phrases by 3 years.
- Persisting articulation problem beyond 7 years.
- Failure to respond to familiar names by first – birthday.
- Failure to identify common objects by name by 18 months.
- Failure to follow common instructions by 2 years.
Suspicion arises – if there is: